The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL 73/78), is the main international convention covering prevention of pollution of the marine environment by ships from operational or accidental causes. The Convention includes regulations aimed at preventing and minimizing pollution from ships and currently includes six technical Annexes.
The MARPOL 73/78 Awareness course is designed to provide prospective deck officers, engineer officers, electro-technical officers, shipping company’s personnel involved in education, training, recruitment, selection and development of maritime manpower, and other individuals serving either to the private or public sector, with the appropriate knowledge and understanding regarding the prevention of pollution of the marine environment.
It covers the pollution prevention requirements as mandated by the MARPOL 73/78 Convention, STCW Convention, ISM Code, Classification Societies, Flag States, USCG Code of Federal Regulations and all of the applicable regulatory and statutory requirements.
Our Training Center, a leader in the field of maritime environmental issues, offers this course as a blend of theoretical and practical exercises. After the training, the participants shall be able to:
- Discuss the objectives of MARPOL 73/78 and other International Conventions
- Fully understand the permissible discharges and emissions according to MARPOL 73/78, as amended, Annexes I – VI
- Effectively comply with the latest pollution prevention requirements, and observe the required procedures for monitoring the respective shipboard operations
- Identify and avoid the most common deficiencies on board and wrong entries to the Record Books to prevent ships from being delayed due to PSC inspections
- Explain responsibilities and obligations under international regulations aimed at preventing various forms of pollution by ships
- Demonstrate competence in preventing/controlling pollution appropriate to position held on board
- Introduce an effective pollution management scheme
- Develop the correct attitude in ensuring compliance with pollution prevention requirements.